Our History... Pushing 100!
Innumerable men, women, and children have given their time, talents, energy, and resources to ensure the ongoing ministry of Calvary Community Church these past 96 years - and countless souls have been won through those who have ministered here.
Highlights of our History
- 1891 The church began as the Free Evangelical Lutheran Church on the corner of Geneva and Williams Streets in Williams Bay, with services conducted in Swedish.
- 1921 The church reorganized as the Free Mission Church. The building was enlarged and dedicated in July - we number our years from this event.
- 1922 The name of the church was changed to Gospel Tabernacle. Soon, services would be conducted in English, with Swedish services held only on Sunday afternoons.
- 1961 The church name was changed to Calvary Community Church.
- 1971 The church voted to relocate to a larger site, selecting a five-acre tract of land at the corner of Highway 50 and Harris Road, a generous gift from Mr. Paul Brandel.
- 1973 With great procession, the church relocated to the new site in July.
- 1985 Ground was broken for a 25,000 sq. ft., 2-story education and gym addition.
- 2015 A major renovation of the now more than 40-year-old structure was completed.