We help people grow closer to God and each other through counseling conversations.
We are clinically trained and licensed professional counselors who come alongside followers of Christ on a journey of hope and healing by offering affordable counseling rooted in timeless biblical truths.
Biblical Counseling is the instruction and application of God’s Word and prayer so that you can make the inward and outward changes necessary to live a life pleasing to God, enhance your personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and discover His perspective in your decisions and issues. This is done from a relationship of trust between you and your counselor(s). Calvary features an opportunity for interns from nationally-recognized graduate schools pursuing clinical training; therefore, counseling interns may be part of your continuity of care.
M.A., M.Div., LCPC/LPC-Supervisor, D.Min. candidate
Pastor Timmy Hanks oversees the counseling ministry and clinical supervision of social work and counseling interns here at Calvary Community. He has completed multiple graduate schools and holds several licenses. His background in trauma care is extensive and brings continuity, compassion, and commitment to shepherding the counseling ministry. Timmy enjoys coming alongside, coaching, equipping, and making practical the living application of God’s word into people’s lives as a core component of ministry. He remains an avid beachcomber, sailor, and scuba diver.
Stephanie is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Wisconsin. She loves working with children, adolescents, and adults. Stephanie received a strong biblical education and is also trained in clinical counseling techniques. Stephanie’s journey began in education where she spent several years in a variety of school settings and taught middle and high school English. After receiving God’s call to biblical counseling, she completed her master’s degree in Professional Counseling at Concordia University in Mequon, WI. Stephanie has experience working in Crisis Intervention and is certified as a SYMBIS facilitator for premarital counseling. She is passionate about strengthening marriages through couples counseling and working with families. Stephanie believes in earning her clients’ trust and patiently supporting them on their individual journeys through an encouraging partnership.
Who We See
- Children ages 5 and up (including play therapy), Adolescents, Adults, Couples, Families
- Pre-Marital Counseling (May be in some degree of partnership w/ sr. pastor)
- Marital and couples Counseling
- Domestic Violence related issues
- Grief, Loss, Lament (including complex)
- OCD related issues
- Child and Adult Acute Stress Disorder / Trauma / PTSD (i.e., sexual assault, sexual abuse, catastrophic injury) including ‘survivor work’ in these areas
- Anxiety / Panic disorder related areas
- ADHD / Developmental assessment issues are screened then referred
- Teen Issues (self-harm/cutting, relationship concerns, identity/image)
- Eating disorders (i.e., Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder/BED)
- Depression / Suicidal issues
- Career transition issues
- Relationship Separation issues (including Biblical Separation Coaching)
- Self esteem / Kingdom identity / Co-Dependency issues
- Divorce Recovery (post Divorce Care class attendance)
- Facilitative consultation with Sr. Pastoral Staff / Elder Board
- Pre/Post Mission Debriefing Consultation (i.e., overseas return of teams)
- Consultation / Coordinated services with other clinical providers (Physician, Psychiatrist, Guardian Ad Litem, Approved Parole Case Managers)
What to Expect
- Introduction to counselor(s)
- Explanation of how we work with people – seek to provide a safe holding space, desire to protect the integrity of what is shared, intentionality behind earning the clients’ trust
- No expectation that a first session is going to turn into an ongoing therapeutic relationship (client gets a sample of what counseling at Calvary would look like and can decide from there)
- Gentle probing into the presenting concerns or issues (not intrusive/deep interrogation) to determine what it may be helpful to address down the road as trust is established
- To have hurts that have happened along the trail validated
- Handouts to take home and review/complete should the client decide to return
- To be given a standard intake form to complete and bring back for the second session
- To be walked through a standard informed consent document (signature needed)
- To be given the option of reaching out if the client would like to set up a next appointment after giving it more thought, or to immediately look at scheduling a next appointment
- An opportunity to voice concerns or ask questions about the counseling process
Payment & Scheduling
- We don’t accept insurance by choice, which allows us to freely pray and open God’s word with people.
- $40 per session, paid in cash or check made out to Calvary Community Church.
- Talk to us if finances prevent you from seeking counseling.
- Sessions are scheduled on a “first come, first served” basis.
- Sessions are scheduled at a frequency that makes sense for the work being done (weekly, biweekly, monthly, as needed – for periodic checkups or there is a need for rescheduling).
- Scheduling is discussed directly with your counselor (no online calendar or appointment booking).
Please complete the Adult Intake Form and bring to your first scheduled appointment.